Melanargia larissa Geyer, 1828
Common names : Balkan Marbled White, Near East Marbled White [En], Echiquier des Balkans [Fr], Βαλκανική σκακιέρα [Gr], Anadolu Melikesi [Tu]
Sariveliler, Karaman ● Turkey
Description: The dark basal areas on both wings and the narrow black line that crosses forewing cell are identification features.
The underside is quite delicately marked with no marked venation.
Biology: It flight from late May to mid-August, according to seasonal conditions.
Food Plants: mainly Poaceae.
Habitat: Dry stony grassland, rocky and bushy areas, grassy meadows and open woodland.
Distribution: This species is common in South-East Europe, Asia Minor, Transcaucasia and North-West Iran. In Turkey, five subspecies have been described:
- M. larissa noacki: central and northern Turkey;
- M. larissa taurica: South;
- M. larissa lesbina: Marmara region ;
- M. larissa massageta: with very pale undersides, around Cappadocia;
- M. larissa astanda: Nord-East.
Baytaş A., 2007. A field guide to the butterflies of Turkey, NTV Yayınları, Istanbul.